2012 RCCP Conference connects international attendees around improving child and family care
May 17, 2012
The Third International Conference of the Residential Child Care Project, In the Best Interests of the Child: Caring for Them—Caring for Us, was held May 9-11, 2012 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Three hundred people attended from the U.S. (27 states), Canada (6 provinces), England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Ireland, Bermuda, Australia (5 states/territories), and South Africa.
The conference engages professionals working with children and families to improve the quality of their care and treatment, offering attendees a unique opportunity to exchange ideas and experiences. Keynote speakers were:
- Larry Brendtro, Ph.D., Founder, Circle of Courage Institute, and Dean, Starr Commonwealth Institute for Training
- Sandra Bloom, M.D., Associate Professor, Drexel University, and Founder, Sanctuary Institute
- Kenneth V. Hardy, Ph.D., Professor, Drexel University, and Director, Eikenberg Institute for Relationships
- Paul Baker, Ph.D., Director, NorthStar Educational and Therapeutic Services, and Assistant Director, Clinical Department, Allambi Youth Services
- David Allen, Associate Clinical Director, Directorate of Learning Disability Services, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, and Professor in the Clinical Psychology of Intellectual Disabilities, Welsh Centre for Learning Disabilities
- James Anglin, Ph.D., Associate Vice-President Academic and Director of International Affairs, University of Victoria
The event was marked by a strong sense of community and shared purpose, as indicated by attendee comments in the event evaluation forms:
I love that we had the ability to hear from and question true experts in the field.
I appreciated the depth of information on trauma and the brain.
I am re-energized and motivated.
and, in response to the question, "What did you like best about the program?":
The feeling of a wonderful community of people passionately connected to the healing of our children.